Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Get Your Camera Ready, Josh. It's Gonna Be a Wild One.

I wouldn't call it unprecedented, but its definitely rare. EPA has been forced to cancel a public meeting because the venues that can hold the number of people they'll be attracting are a little too nervous about hosting it.
With three meetings in the can on its quest to gain insight into how to study hydraulic fracturing, EPA has to reschedule its meeting for New York. Originally scheduled for Thursday Aug. 12 at the University of Binghamton, then for Syracuse, its the meeting every anti-drilling activist in New York wants, but no public venue in New York wants to host.
The University of Binghamton actually tried to raise venue rent on EPA from $6,000 to $40,000 to discourage them from holding the hearing on their campus, once they had a reality check about what is likely to transpire when the meeting is held. Public safety folks in Syracuse told EPA it simply could not have enough security ready for this event on such short notice.
Rumor has it EPA, which apparently understands the problem completely, is expecting over 5,000 people. That's not a public hearing. That's a small rock concert.
Many who read my blog know that even in my attempts to be completely honest about my opinion and use my real identity in my discussions on drilling as to avoid anyone telling me I'm hiding my industry ties, I have experienced first hand the rage of many anti-drilling activists. I've been called some pretty ugly names by people I've shared my opinions with. I've had my life threatened by an activist from a prestigious institution. My evilness has been compared to that of the ultimate villain, former Vice President Cheney, in the online comments section of The New York Times. Twitter has blocked people from viewing my tweets on account of their anti-violence policy.
Most pro drilling people I speak with tell me I'm more than cordial and straightforward with my adversaries. At least more than they admit they would ever be. Many jokingly chide me for trying to share what I know with people who don't want to know it. Some former colleagues have been wholeheartedly concerned for my safety.
My point is this. I don't blame EPA a bit for rescheduling. Anti-drilling activists in New York are, to their credit, passionately dedicated to their view point. Quite frankly, without a real security presence, someone is likely to get hurt. Potentially seriously hurt.
I ask everyone planning to attend this meeting (and I know a number of you on both sides) when it is rescheduled to go in the spirit of true democracy -- to share ideas, regardless of how disparate they may be, not to insult those who do not share your view, and to refrain from any kind of violence or outbursts. Don't boo people or heckle them. Respect the liberties we've been given to share our ideas and opinions with our government in a way that would make our forefathers proud.
Finally, please remember what EPA is holding this meeting to do. They are looking for ideas on places to research the alleged impacts of fracturing. Give them what they need. Locations to study. They've heard every argument and theory about how fracing can poison water. That's the reason for the study in the first place.
Everyone -- activist or industry shill like me -- wants to see this study done correctly so this debate can put to rest once and for all.
No one needs to be harmed or demeaned in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment